[rescue] SGI Onyx 2- 2 rack monster Needs a home

Stefan Skoglund stefan.skoglund at agj.net
Fri Jul 27 08:37:30 CDT 2018

tor 2018-07-26 klockan 21:03 -0400 skrev PhreakShow Telephone Company:
> We have been fighting our local township to do the electrical
> upgrades
> so we could run the big 2 rack onyx 2 we have.    Sadly there is no
> more fighting to be had with them.  They won't approve 200amp service
> here.
>

> So we have a big 2 rack onyx system we rescued out of Indiana
> University in the spring.  We need to rehome it.   Need to have at
> least 1200 dollars for it which is what we have into it with rescuing
> it.
>
> Here are detailed pics.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/mdlCW
>
> https://imgur.com/yht6ook
>
> We are located in Mid Michigan.

Reminds me a little bit a history i read maybe 5 years ago.
I know this metal working man (now deceased) and his two sons.

The father had started his own little metal working firm at home (in
the fifties) including a lathe but the electric service wasnt up to it
completely and well he had a bit of trouble making the
distributionsfC6reningen (cooperative local area electric utility)
upgrade their cabling so every time he started the lathe the lamps
flickered....

Well, his wife was gonna have a local meet one evening (church i think)
with some friends so well at the meet's start her lawful man went back
to work ie the lathe and well he was just a a little bit less lenient
against the voltage levels than he usually is ---- it became dark
upstairs while the lathe accelerated....

1 year later the distributionsfC6reningen had upgraded its net and so no
more voltage droppings...
The chairman of the association and his wife was upstairs....

This was in a rural setting in the fifties. 1970 already a lot of farms
had for example got large electric three-phase hay drying fans  (32 or
60 amps at 400 V three-phase....) so the distributionsfC6reningarna had
sorted it out by that time. Usually if a farm for example needs
something which pulls 60 amp or more at start they can be required to
acquire eq which can compensate for the starting current.