[rescue] Sun JavaStation Software

JimStefanik SunRescue jstefaniksunrescue at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 19:11:38 CDT 2018

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately Peter is correct - the software for the SunRay won't work
with the JavaStation; although I did grab it since my copy of SRSS wasn't
complete (I only had like 1 package file) - so you solved my (entirely
unrelated) problem of making my SunRays work.  Sadly not what I need for
the JavaStation though.

The way I understand it is that the JavaStation netboots and require the
special software be hosted on a server somewhere on the network.  On
powerup, the JavaStation grabs an IP via RARP/BOOTP, then requests its
bootcode via TFTP.  Once it has that and executes it, it uses DHCP to get a
new IP, along with all of its configuration settings, which are passed as
custom DHCP options.  One of the many options that gets passed is an NFS
server path that hosts the JavaOS binaries, along with any other binaries
it will run.  It pulls all of that down into RAM and starts up from there.

I've seen some references to JavaOS being in flash, but I believe that's
only for the later "Krups" model, not the original Mr. Coffee model.  The
Krups model looks like a sharkfin, vs. the Mr. Coffee model is stuffed
inside of a slightly modified Sun external 5.25" HDD/DVD enclosure.

The software exists *somewhere*, since fairly recently - within the last
3-4 months - another guy on YouTube got one running and did a walk through,
including WireShark captures of the boot process.  I've got an email out to
him, so hopefully that will at least generate some leads.

Thanks!
-Jim