[rescue] OT wireless bridge

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Mon Jan 29 05:17:48 CST 2018

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 03:03:46AM +0000, William Enestvedt wrote:
>Have any of you used OpenWRT flashed onto a commodity router? Itbs overkill
>for my limited skills and needs, but it may suit some of you well.

Yep, I've been using it for years (it and LEDE, which was a fork, although
the two will be merging in the near future). I currently have a pair of
TP-Link Archer C5s (OpenWRT) and a Linksys WRT1900ACS (LEDE) in use.

I use OpenWRT/LEDE because those two projects use open source drivers - in
contrast, DD-WRT is happy to use vender-supplied binary blobs to drive
wireless chips.

FWIW, it's also possible to install FreeBSD on commodity routers/APs. See
[1] for more info and [2] for a list of supported hardware.

[1] https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki
[2] https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki/Supported-Boards

Cheers, MJ
--