[rescue] The SunSolve cdroms

john jferg977 at aol.com
Thu Jan 25 12:56:23 CST 2018

There are some (now) known issues with the 90s SunSolve CDs (the
pre-"Netscape-Served" ones),
and apparently not limited to SunOS 4.1.4 - Solaris 2.x is effected too.
I suspect the programs on the SunSolve CD may have a Y2K problem, or even
not working if
you have too much RAM installed!

Are you seeing the error "fterror: 81" in the terminal window when using
the document-search?

https://sparc90s.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/sunsolve-cd-part-1/
https://sparc90s.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/sunsolve-cd-part-2/

I tried it with SunSolve releases from 1995, 1996, 1998 and 1999 - all had
the same problem.
Sadly, after 1999, most of the articles, technical briefs, technotes et al
were removed from SunSolve CD, to make room for the growing sets of O/S
patches.

If anyone gets to the bottom of the 90s SunSolve CD breakage, I would be
very keen to know!

-- Mike Spooner
http://mbus.sunhelp.org/

Hi Mike.  I have two of these and they were issued in early 93.  they worked at the time.  I've discovered that the search engine on AnswerBook (also from same period) also doesn't work. It appears to be an xview problem.  But with AnswerBook I the error message doesn't flash by so quickly.

xview warning: notifier error: unknown client

After the usual goggling, I found some suggestions that AnswerBook is expecting that the system is running yellow pages and apparently does a lookup in an NIS file.  Which of course in my system wouldn't be there.  I'm toying with idea to set it up, hoping it won't cause me any problems on my network and see if it works then.

I'm testing on SunOS 4.1.4 with the patches which came with the CDROM made.  there is a jumbo OpenWin patch 100452-68.  The last version of this patch was 100452-74.  I have it but haven't upgraded the older patch.  I would think it would work.

I cannot remember any problems running it in 1992 on our sun system which had an MP630, a SPARC10, some SPARC 2's some ELCs and a bunch of IPX's.

I tifred loading HelpDesk which was an earlier version which it appears has the same search engine which also doesn't work on my present setup.

pursuing this is probably nuts.

john