[rescue] The SPARC10 with all that stuff

Mike Spooner mike.spooner.ux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 15:05:18 CST 2018

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 14:57:54 -0500,  john <jferg977 at aol.com> wrote:

> A problem I'm having right now is getting SunSolve 1.2 to list the files
> found by SearchTool.B  SunSolve 1.2 comes on a CDROM. It included all of
> the files which used to be offered on helpDesk (used by Sun Support in
> 1992, the patch lists with all of the readmes, many of the system
> manuals etc.B  All of the files can be accessed off the cdrom if you
> don;t have the disk capacity, or located on a disk.B  the search is done
> by a daemon. the GUI is Openwin.B  And it appears to work, takes time,
> uses cpu, etc, but flashes what may have been an error message and then
> says it couldn't find anything. One would think that the word 'core'
> would be found all over these documents.
>
> two questions. is anyone else running 4.1.4? where might these error
> messages be recorded?B  There is a logfile for SunSolve but it doesn't
> show errors.B  It could be an Xview problem, but I haven't had a problem
> like this with anything else.B  My system is patched to 2000 and I did
> load up a base 4.1.4 system and patched that to 1994 but no joy on that
> either.
>
> I'd be happy to share an ISO and scans of the very brief loading
> instructions if anyone wants to mess with this. let me know, and
> particularly if you have some idea what else I could try.

There are some (now) known issues with the 90s SunSolve CDs (the
pre-"Netscape-Served" ones),
and apparently not limited to SunOS 4.1.4 - Solaris 2.x is effected too.
I suspect the programs on the SunSolve CD may have a Y2K problem, or even
not working if
you have too much RAM installed!

Are you seeing the error "fterror: 81" in the terminal window when using
the document-search?

https://sparc90s.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/sunsolve-cd-part-1/
https://sparc90s.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/sunsolve-cd-part-2/

I tried it with SunSolve releases from 1995, 1996, 1998 and 1999 - all had
the same problem.
Sadly, after 1999, most of the articles, technical briefs, technotes et al
were removed from SunSolve CD, to make room for the growing sets of O/S
patches.

If anyone gets to the bottom of the 90s SunSolve CD breakage, I would be
very keen to know!

-- Mike Spooner
http://mbus.sunhelp.org/