[rescue] 3-1-4-3 beep error codes on Sun Ultra20 m2 system

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 06:37:18 CST 2018

Hi Kerry

Did you reseat the cpu?

Peter

Sent from my iPhone

> On 8 Jan 2018, at 23:57, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us> wrote:
>
> I'm having some local storage issues here at home, and needed a box to wind
up and move some data over to.

> I have a Sun Ultra 20 M2 system, that I had purchased direct from Sun that
seemed to fit the bill, i.e. a box I could load up with several big SATA
drives and rsync data over to.

> Anyway, start with plugging it in.  Had not used this box in a few years.
Fan(s) wind up to full speed, but no output what-so-ever on the monitor.  Fans
never wind down.

> First thought, pull all boards and memory and re-seat them.  No change.
>
> 2nd, even though this box worked when I put it away, spent some quality time
looking over the motherboard for cut traces, bulging capacitors, etc.  Nothing
jumps out at me.

> 3rd though, BIOS/firmware battery dead, preventing booting.  Worth looking
at anyway, or maybe too many years dealing with Apple PRAM issues.  Power
down, pull old battery.  Multimeter says .7 volts, should be 3v.  Cr2032
battery, same as just about everyone uses.   Check new battery for correct
voltage, then plug back in and reapply power.

> Something has changed, a bit anyway.  I now have beep (error) codes.
3-1-4-3.  Test that twice.

> Find Sun/Oracle documentation online.  Has troubleshooting section, but
nothing with that beep code.

> Broaden my search, finally find the beep code, but its not for Tyan
motherboard powered Sun Ultra 20 M2 boxes, its for old IBM Thinkpads.  Here
are a couple of hits.

<https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/24217965/IBM-Thinkpad-Error-Beep-
Code-3-1-4-3.html>

<https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T61-and-prior-T-series/Beep-code-3-1-4
-3/td-p/44259>

<https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T61-and-prior-T-series/Beep-code-3-1-4
-3/m-p/107579#M60471>

> anyway, I know that, the IBM part was worthless, just showing I did my
homework before asking.

> I'm guessing that the motherboard has died, and I am left with its
components to find new homes for.