[rescue] eSATA on SPARC - or SCSI->eSATA converters

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Wed Feb 14 03:53:42 CST 2018

On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 05:01:39PM +0000, Jerry Kemp wrote:
>But this isn't the point of my question.

Ah, fair enough - sorry, missed that.

>At this point I am looking to acquire some type of PCI-E SCSI adapter, and
>in coordination with the ACARD SCSI->SATA adapters mentioned by Mike
>Spooner yesterday, attach some additional storage (external) storage.

What type of external storage? If you don't have something in place
already, a SAS enclosure may give you the most bang-for-buck. Something
like a Lenovo SA120, Dell MD1000 or HP MSA60. Looking at the Oracle 11 HCL,
LSI SAS2008 HBAs (eg, the LSI 9207-8e) are supported so you could use one
of those to hook it up to the T1000.

Alternatively, use one of those supported SAS HBAs with the right cabling
to hook up your SATA drives in whatever enclosure they're currently in.
IMHO, going native SAS (which works fine with SATA) is better than a
SCSI->SATA bridge.

[1] http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/hcl/data/s11ga/components/views/disk_controller_all_results.page1.html

Cheers, MJ
--