[rescue] eSATA on SPARC - or SCSI->eSATA converters

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Fri Feb 9 11:02:04 CST 2018

On 09/02/18 10:34, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Apparently the original configuration was 1x 3.5" SATA , based on the
> linked-to PDF with a copyright date of 2006:
>
> http://www.dedicatedsunservers.com/pdf/t1000.pdf

That was my (personal) recollection also, FWIW.

> Other sites discuss firmware updates to support dual 2.5" SAS drives.

I did not need to do that.  Connectors are there internally for (2) drives.   I never acquired an official Sun dual 2.5" drive
mount, but I fabricated my own.  Although the system runs fine with a single 3.5" SATA drive, I never had much luck attempting to
use matched sets of 2.5" SATA drives internally.   Specifically, had no problem formatting and partitioning them, or even laying
down data.  At least initially.  Unfortunately, the system just seemed to kill these pretty quickly, and after cycling several sets
of matched drives, I finally passed on that endeavor.

> If not for the deafening roar such a machine makes, it would be a perfect Sun
> machine to have in the rack in my garage - small, low power, lots of cores,

I could not agree more.  The T2000's are *significantly* quieter IMHO.  My plan here is to not use the OEM small and very noisy
fans.  I'm planning to put the system board and P/S in another enclosure, then replace those fans using larger, quieter ones.  Those
OEM fans were horrible.  I'm not planning to cut stuff up, or do anything that would preclude putting it back in its original
physical configuration.

I have had this system for several years, and I haven't done a whole lot with it, primarily due to the noise.

When the Solaris 11.4 beta was released a few weeks ago, It was a real eye opener, being that not only this box, but all my
accumulated T-series equipment, being T-3 and older, are now obsolete in the eyes of Sun/Oracle, and no longer capable of running
the (soon to be) current version of Solaris.

Jerry