[rescue] SparcStation 1+ TurboGX framebuffer card incompatibility

mike stedman ravuya at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 22:19:08 CDT 2018

Hi all,

I have had a SparcStation 1+ for a few years now, but I am completely
new to Suns (lots of experience with repairing 68k Macs/Amigas).
Recently, I had some free time so wanted to see if I could get it
working again.

The SS1+ had no video card, so I went on eBay and picked up an SBus
video card, a "TurboGX" (270-2325-04).

When I install it into the machine, it refuses to boot, complaining on
the serial console about "Unimplemented FCode token before address
ffd1c259" and then hangs while "setting up console parameters." Since
this is a high-memory address, I assume this is related to the video
card, or its firmware, or some kind of discovery process.

With the card removed, it will proceed to the ok > prompt but won't
boot, possibly either because the Quantum hard drive in it is dead or
has been wiped by a previous owner. I can solve that problem later.

Is the TurboGX card I bought "too new" for my little old pizza box? I
have tried to find a chart of compatibility or any details on the card
but have come up with nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really love how this machine
looks and would like to tuck it in with my pizza-box Macs.

Mike