[rescue] Top vs. Bottom posting (was: revived: TiBook G4 867...)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Apr 14 14:08:39 CDT 2018

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:09:40AM -0700, Ian Finder wrote:
>Can you insufferable pedants please not debate this again? I don't give a
>s**t how you post, as long as it's on-topic and readable.
>
>I've seen this topic far too many times between here and the other list,
>and I have to say the drop in SNR has become far more exhausting than
>parsing modern reply behavior.
>
>It's always the same people who start this 'debate.' You know who you are.
>Please stop.
>Consider joining a HOA instead and legislating your neighbor's lawn
>ornaments?

I'm with Ian here, as the list owner.  There's more important things to
waste cycles on than top-vs-bottom-posting.  Consider the content of the
message, not the layout.

As it is, I strip all the list posts down to 7-bit ASCII (for the most part)
and remove attachments.  In fact, the relevant line for this list in my
aliases.malman file looks like:

rescue: "|/usr/bin/demime - |/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post rescue"

NAME
       demime - Removes mime attachments and other cruft from e-mail

SYNOPSIS
        demime [-d] [relay |-] quiet

DESCRIPTION
       There are two major features of demime - mime removal and advertising
       signature removal.

(actually looking for a modern equivalent of demime, as I think I had to
 compile it from source the last time I reinstalled..)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas USA