[rescue] Top vs. Bottom posting (was: revived: TiBook G4 867...)

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Apr 13 13:59:52 CDT 2018

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I find neither of my two previous responses to this email, one
> top-posted, the other bottom-posted, 'insulting':

Top-posting is a mild faux pas compared to what I more commonly deal with
when exchanging messages relatively new email users who have only ever
dealt with HTML "email" and the bletcherous tools that craft it.

"Please see my comments in red inserted into your mail."

> On a portable (phone) the entire message may or may not display on a
> single, no scroll, window, so top posting seems appropriate for that
> audience.

Some innovative person should come up with a messaging platform or tool
optimized for the display of short messages, possibly even SMS-short.  I
predict it would do well among the demographics of people who primarily
use read-only computing devices.

Reading mail on my pocket-computer is something that I only do if I have
to precisely because it's an awful tool for the job.  No amount of
convention is going to make it less so.

> I'll top-post, but I'm aware that may limit my audience, rub some people
> wrong - as the man once said 'you can't please everyone so you've got to
> please yourself." [0]

Yep.  Horses for courses / audiences.

--
Jonathan Patschke