[rescue] revived: TiBook G4 867 (DVI)/ 1GB and MacOS9

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Apr 13 13:09:00 CDT 2018

[NB: I AM TOP-POSTING; LOOK AWAY, LOOK AWAY!]

So, about rebuilding the battery, the key is to examine the cells very carefully and make sure you understand the exact layout in full detail, before taking it apart further.

I broke open the case (don't have a good solution for re-sealing it, I just used duct tape) and pried the two halves apart rather inelegantly.

For the TiBook battery, there are 8 cells total.  I gently pulled back the insulating tape (that keeps the cells from touching each other where they shouldn't) and did not take apart the pack until I had gone over, about 3 times, exactly what was connected where. I took photos and diagrammed it, then double-checked myself.

The 8 cells are laid out with (my numbering) 6 cells in a single row, with 1 cell lying lengthwise along the top and one lengthwise along the bottom, to form a rough rectangle.

e.g.:

        7 lengthwise
1  2  3  4  5  6
        8 lengthwise

(hope formatting isn't too screwed up)

The case itself, has indentations where each battery should lay. When re-assembling the pack, the batteries should fit back into the indentations.

I used the electronics bench at the maker space I am a member of - they have a spot welder to weld on each battery the flat battery tabs - much easier to solder to, and it helps to prevent heating up the cell when you are soldering to it.

Spot weld the batteries together in the same configuration (a mix of serial and parallel) as the original pack.  Once you have started welding, use some electrical tape or other means to prevent accidental contact - even with the batteries un-charged they can discharge what remains!

As you get closer to the finished product the danger will increase a bit - so protect both yourself and the battery pack.

"Tin" the wires with solder.  Then, put a blob of solder on both the end of the wire, and, another blob on the battery tab you have spot-welded to the cell.

To solder together, put the soldering tip onto the blob on the cell, and push the blob on the wire against it. As soon as they both melt together, remove the tip.  Remember you don't want a lot of heat going into the cell; this method should minimize heat going anywhere other than the soldered connection.  If you can, leave a bit of the tab metal that you spot-welded to the cell, able to be bent upwards so you can lessen the heat transfer into the cell.

After you have carefully finished soldering, let it sit (not on a conductive mat) for a minute or two, then, carefully feel each cell with your fingertips. If ANY are warm - you have either wired incorrectly, or two cells are touching that should not be!  Go over your connections again - in my case, the end of one cell was touching the solder blob of another cell, that should not have been.  I put electrical tape on both connections to keep them separated from each other and haven't had any problems since.

Carefully re-assemble everything into the case; wait again for a minute, feeling the cells for warmth. Then when everything seems fine, use duct tape or whatever to hold the case together and test-fit into your laptop, unplugged from main power.  Plug in the laptop and keep feeling/monitoring the battery pack for undue warmth; don't plug it in and walk away.

After the batteries are charged, test runtime (the learning by the driver or in-battery chip means that times will be inaccurate at first) and there you go ...

Cheers

Patrick