[rescue] revived: TiBook G4 867 (DVI)/ 1GB and MacOS9

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Apr 10 00:28:17 CDT 2018

I am sick of OSes and hardware that have remote surveillance capabilities... plus I have some writing to do, so I decided to look around for something I could use that would minimize my Internet dependence...

I rebuilt the LiIon battery on the TiBook and it now gives ~3 hours I think, depending on what I do with it. Just writing, with the backlight turned down, probably more.

I installed MacOS9 and between MacintoshGarden.org and MacintoshRepository.org, plus help from MacOS9Lives.com forum, found software and config help I needed.  Now the machine is running pretty well, though there are certain apps that should run but which lock up (WebSTAR Admin app, but I don't really need it).

I have FullWrite, MORE (outliner), and Photoshop 7.0 running, along with Classilla (a backport of Mozilla) for limited web browsing.  I had to modify ciphers on a Linux machine to get MacSSH working, though.  Not sure if I want to try to get VirtualPC running or not - might be a distraction. I do want to play around with HyperCard some though.

I will tweak it further by adding a PATA - SATA bridge and an mSATA 500GB drive.  Under MacOS, you have to create an 8GB or so boot partition, then create partitions of no more than 190GB in order for MacOS to see the whole drive and be able to run its maintenance utilities on it.

It sleeps perfectly, so much better than my (high end at the time it was made) HP EliteBook.  I think with some more work it can serve as a useful system - some 16 years or so after it was manufactured?  Pretty neat IMHO.

No spinning beachballs, unlike its newer sister, an AluBook 1.5Ghz G4 running 10.4 Tiger; and the 1280x854 display is more suited to my taste.

Anyone else doing anything with old Macs?

Cheers

Patrick