[rescue] ISO burning for Solaris booting

Dan Oglesby danielmoglesby at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 18:04:10 CDT 2017

I remember dealing with 512-byte per sector CD writers vs 2048-byte
per sector writers back when I got started.  Is that still a thing on
newer Sun hardware?

I have a few SCSI based CD-R drives that have been 100% reliable
burning bootable media.  I've seen IDE based CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+/-RW
drives that wouldn't burn a Sun ISO properly so it would boot.  I
believe I have an Asus USB DVD+/-RW drive that has been used to write
bootable DVD and CD media a few years back.

I'll second Mike's suggestion for slowing down the write speed.  This
helped a lot on older, finicky drives when it came to booting and
running a successful installation.

Try different brands of CD-R/DVD media.  I've even burned to CD-RW
media and had that work before.  If all else fails, try a different
burner.

--Dan