[rescue] ISO burning for Solaris booting

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Mon Oct 9 15:52:31 CDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 09, 2017 at 04:41:46PM -0400, Earl Baugh wrote:
> FYI -- On my V120 I'm still having issues getting ISOs to build a bootable
> DVD.
> Tried burning two different ways on my Mac and tried two different drives

I've had the best luck using Pioneer SCSI DVD burners.
Using anything thin or portable has usually resulted in coasters.
I don't remember any difference in DVD-R or DVD+R media.

Have you tried doing CDs? They aren't as finicky, even if you have to
down the CD images and have to swap discs during installation.

> Does the size of the blank DVD matter?

I don't remember any Sun shipped things that required more than
single-layer DVDs (4.5GB). Burning dual-layer DVDs can be
problematic for data disks.
Archiving the Mac OS X Snow Leopard disc was very problematic.

> I'm going to try Mike Spooner's suggestions (quoted below) but wanted to
> get feedback, I'm assuming booting a V120 class machine from DVD isn't an
> issue, correct?

No, it shouldn't be.
I've done a ton of them back in the day on machines older than a V120.