[rescue] Saved this Ultra 10 from Central Mich U Surplus Sale

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Sun Oct 8 22:09:00 CDT 2017

Please note, this is/was for personal stuff only.

Early 2000/01/02 maybe, I ran an Ultra 10 as a server in a COLO.

The one thing I did, that made all the (performance) difference in the world,
was to yank all the IDE stuff out.

I had (2) SCSI controllers installed, one controller per drive.

Performance was night-and-day difference.  I'm fully aware of where the Ultra
5/Ultra 10 systems were on the Sun food chain, back when they were relevant.

The Ultra 5/10 systems were very much IO bound, and if you have any plans of
using this box in an interactive manner, I can not recommend this approach
highly enough.

OTOH, in our current day and age, and given the lack of a workable SATA
controller for SPARC, I would be interested in seeing the SCSI controller,
attached to a SCSI->SATA adapter, terminated by a fast SSD.

Congrats on your find, and thanks for saving another Sun box from destruction.

Jerry