[rescue] [rescued] Sun Ultra Enterprise 4000

Richard ejb at trick-1.net
Sat Oct 7 19:39:36 CDT 2017

Hi Folks

Just a quick update on the adventure so far....

So a number of people came back and suggested NetBSD. I now have this
installed on a local SCSI drive mounted in the sled next to the CD-ROM
drive, probably not what Sun intended, but it works and keeps it all
nice and self contained :-).

The TODC errors on all cards so I have the NVRAM on order....

I also have on order a PCI Carrier Board - supports 2x PCI cards -
Anyone know if NetBSD will be able to see the devices once installed?
When it turns up I will plug it in with some Intel NIC cards but thought
I would ask ahead of time in case I need to change OS before doing too
much more customization.

Along the way I have discovered that this machine (or is it all Ultra
Enterprises xx00) are rather picky/finicky about card and memory
insertion. Same card, same slot fails on boot, remove re-seat, passes on
next boot. Similar for memory - remove the CPU card to check the heat
sinks (see next note) - reinsert card and boot, SIMM failures, remove,
push down on SIMM, re-seat card in system,  boot, all OK....Also could
just be age...thoughts?

Now on to the heat sinks. I noted that a number of heat sinks had fallen
off, maybe due to age, prior damage or transport, I am not sure. I see
that there is a Sun note for "detached heat sinks"
http://www.shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh-2_1/collections/fins/I0683-1.html
- The suggestion of getting a replacement board is not practical at this
point. Instead I used some heatsink/adhesive compound. Left it to cure
overnight and they are now solid as a rock, will check back in 6 months.
Thought folks might find this useful as I didn't know of the
heatsink/adhesive compound  until I went to get some standard heat sink
compound and the guy at the shop said "oh this might be better..."

Finally does anyone know of replacement board levers. I have 2 that have
disintegrated at the board mount joint.

So that's it so far.....

If anyone has any excess Ultra Enterprise xx00 parts I  am on the look
out for
- CPU Boards with/without CPU/Memory
- CPU @ 335Mhz
- 256Mb SIMM
- Spare PSU
- Anyother cool or exotic cards that can be inserted be they SBUS or
Backplane connected. Were there any Co-processor cards for this machine?
I have had a brief trawl but can't find anything obvious..

Happy to pay for shipping and reasonable costs.

I also now have spare 2x Dual port SBUS FC Cards with GBIC's if anyone
is looking or wanting to swap for anything above. Price of postage.

Regards

Richard