[rescue] What version of Solaris for V120?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Jul 18 18:52:53 CDT 2017

>>> There are (2) resolutions here, one of which was a (free) 3rd party
>>> /dev/random generator.  2nd was a patch from Sun that added
>>> /dev/random to Solaris 8.
>> Perhaps a 3rd would be an ssh implementation that doesn't depend on
>> /dev/random?
> But then you need another source of entropy, and that's going to
> eventually wind up being something conceptually equivalent to
> /dev/random or /dev/urandom.  So isn't it simpler to just implement
> /dev/random and not have to change anything else?

"Maybe."  If the various users of /dev/random and /dev/urandom are such
that they're happy with something userland can provide, sure.  (A named
pipe, maybe?  Does Solaris implement open() for AF_LOCAL sockets?)

Otherwise, it seems to me that the difference is userland versus kernel
(/dev/{,u}random being a kernel thing but the "other source of entropy"
being, at least potentially, in userland).

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org