[rescue] What version of Solaris for V120?

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jul 18 18:30:01 CDT 2017

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017, Jerry Kemp wrote:

> I have seen (in writing) /dev/random implementations that pull entropy from
> an external device, but IMHO, that really is not scaleable, or usable by most
> people like us, i.e. hobbyist on old Sun hardware.
>
> I know I would be interested about alternate implementation from anyone on
> the list.

At $dayjob, we use PRNGD for our HP-UX 10 boxes:

         http://prngd.sourceforge.net/

OpenSSH as recent as 7.1p1 (I've not tried later) builds just fine if you
tell it to use prngd's socket for entropy over /dev/random.

EGD is what we used on Solaris 7 at $ISP over a decade ago:

         http://egd.sourceforge.net/

And was it ever slow!  PRNG written in Perl on Ultra 1e and SPARCstation 20
systems.  We mostly used telnet after I restricted it to circuits we
controlled.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX