[rescue] What version of Solaris for V120?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Tue Jul 18 16:24:59 CDT 2017

On 07/18/17 03:49 PM, Peter Stokes wrote:
> Hi
>
> They are for Intel so no use on a V120.

Absolutely.  The media set, from what I could determine, was overseas, so that
would be an additional cost to get that to the states.

> I would think 8 is a good version for the V120.

I 2nd your comment here, and personally have a disproportional large collection
of Solaris 8 media because OpenWin/OpenLook with OLVWM is my favorite window
manager, and Solaris 8 was the last time Sun officially distributed that.  Given
that a V120 is typically headless, probably a moot point and only important to me.

Certainly this is situational, but the frequent negative I see with Solaris 8 is
that is didn't ship with a /dev/random .  Why is that important?  Its necessary
to get the SSH tools up and running.

There are (2) resolutions here, one of which was a (free) 3rd party /dev/random
generator.  2nd was a patch from Sun that added /dev/random to Solaris 8.  More
information on Solaris 8 /dev/random issue(s) here:

<http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~andi/SUNrand/>

Or, you can be insecure like me and use telnet + the Berkley R services for
around $HOME.  Nope, I'm not telnet'ing in plain text across the Internet, just
in house on old boxes.

> One thing I think you can do with the 120 but is undocumented is to run 1Gb
> Dimms, or am I thinking of one of the other systems of this era?

I do not believe that it is even undocumented.  From my earlier post from 17
July 2017 14:22, I own (3) V120's, that were gifted to me from a previous
employer, a few lifetimes ago, and all had 4 Gb of ram.  I have one of these up
that I run 24x7, and I had shared 'prtdiag -v' output showing 4 Gb of ram
installed.   Also reference Max Memory here:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Fire>