[rescue] Solaris Studio

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 16:59:08 CDT 2017

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us> wrote:
> Quite a few questions and comments, replying the best I can.
>
> * 10.11 - technically, that is Solaris 10u11 01/13
>
> * SunBlade 2500 OS options - absolutely.  From my list archives, it looks
> like William Barnett-Lewis got a SunBlade 2500 system back in early June
> 2017, and we all visited about OS options there.

Yep, that's me. Still looking at options. As I mentioned, I have 10u11
on it currently. This may well be the best option but I'm just curious
about other options.

> * Can the Solaris 11 Express repository be set up on a DVD?  Never done that
> myself, but God, that sounds painful.  Just from a high level, you would
> need to download the different parts of the repository, put them together,
> run the install script to create the repository, then once you had validated
> your repository was functional, you would have to burn that data to a DVD or
> BlueRay disc, then reconfigure the repository web server to point to the new
> optical drive location.  Curious what you see as the advantage to this
> approach?????

The problem I have is that I don't see any way to set up the
repository on my system while building Express 11 on it much less on
my primary linux laptop as it seems (incorrectly to me?) to be quite
Solaris specific and I don't have any other Sun hardware. Thus I
thought that perhaps if I burned the files to a DL DVD, I'd be able to
point it at it for at least long enough to get the GUI & everything
else in it installed.

Prior to this my last "new" Sun was a 100 running Solaris 7. :) Thank
you for your time, thoughts & patience.

--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.