[rescue] Solaris Studio

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Sun Jul 16 15:06:14 CDT 2017

On 16 July 2017 at 19:42, William Barnett-Lewis <wlewisiii at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been following this discussion as I have recently gotten my hands
> on a Blade 2500 Silver. I currently have 10.11 on it (which is newer)
> but have been considering using either Solaris Express 11 or
> http://www.opensxce.org/.  I can't go to 11.x since Oracle dropped
> USIII support.  I'd like to be able to use Solaris Studio because I
> never could afford the official compilers back in the the day and I
> get tired of gcc's ... quirks...
>
> A couple of questions: Can the Express Repository be setup on a DVD?
> The Oracle repository won't work with Express so I have to find a way
> to set up the local one.
>
> I haven't had the best of luck with openCSW under 10.11; will their
> packages work with express or am I better off with using whatever
> versions are in the Repository and then building newer from source?
>
> Or would using an alternate distribution (like opensxce but any will
> do) be a better option?
>
> I'm just interested in setting it up to play with and, eventually,
> building a personal database (I might use Ingres since I used it
> commercially once upon a lifetime ago) just for the fun of it.  No
> commercial needs, just a nice old workstation that I'd like to keep
> using for fun and knowledge.

How different is Solaris 11 to Illumos? Just curious as if Illumos is
able to build 15,000 pretty up to date packages via pkgsrc (
https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-illumos/ ) then it might me a
relatively easy way to get a set of useful and current packages for
Solaris 11

Mmm, looks like there is an older howto for Solaris 10
http://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/how_to_use_pkgsrc_on_solaris/

Having poked around quite a bit with pkgsrc if someone is interested
and has a ssh accessible zone I'd be happy to help...

David