[rescue] Solaris Studio

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 13:42:57 CDT 2017

I've been following this discussion as I have recently gotten my hands
on a Blade 2500 Silver. I currently have 10.11 on it (which is newer)
but have been considering using either Solaris Express 11 or
http://www.opensxce.org/.  I can't go to 11.x since Oracle dropped
USIII support.  I'd like to be able to use Solaris Studio because I
never could afford the official compilers back in the the day and I
get tired of gcc's ... quirks...

A couple of questions: Can the Express Repository be setup on a DVD?
The Oracle repository won't work with Express so I have to find a way
to set up the local one.

I haven't had the best of luck with openCSW under 10.11; will their
packages work with express or am I better off with using whatever
versions are in the Repository and then building newer from source?

Or would using an alternate distribution (like opensxce but any will
do) be a better option?

I'm just interested in setting it up to play with and, eventually,
building a personal database (I might use Ingres since I used it
commercially once upon a lifetime ago) just for the fun of it.  No
commercial needs, just a nice old workstation that I'd like to keep
using for fun and knowledge.

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.