[rescue] Solaris Studio

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Sun Jul 16 14:01:05 CDT 2017

On 07/16/17 13:56, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> But yeah, primarily I need to be able to compile Bacula.  It's about the
> only major application that will be running on this box.

And absolutely critically, I need to be able to compile Bacula 64-bit.
ALL of the open-source packages are 32-bit.

Every single third-party packaging site says "We build 32-bit because
most of the time it doesn't matter, and 64-bit binaries MAY be sligltly
slower than 32-bit even on 64-bit hardware..."

Look, I don't care if a task runs 2%-3% slower.  But I *REALLY* care if
something as simple as a file copy craps out in the middle of a 4GB file
because it can't handle a file offset larger than 2GB.  If raw speed
were the only criterion we could all run 8-bit Atari emulators.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net