[rescue] Sun-3 memory board troubleshooting

John Hudak jjhudak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 21:08:44 CDT 2017

Well, a technique based on some assumptions:
Assume MMU is disabled (Don't know if this machine has one)
Assume the diagnostics start a absolute mem location 00
Assume you have a schematic with enough detail to determine memory decoding

Determine on the board where the lowest address segment is located on the
memory board
HW designers usually followed a order in memory chip layout, startng with
the 'top' row as the first segment..
Based on the memory chips used, determine the address range of each
segment.  e.g. sketch a memory map.
Map the memory location of the failure to the memory segment (this gets you
into the correct set (row) of chips. )

Determining the exact chip requires finer granularity of troubleshooting
gear..e.g. logic analyzer, possibly a scope and possibly a more detailed
schematic.  Things get very tough at this point.

Without having seen the board, I can't give much more help...12MB?  ouch!
good luck