[rescue] FS: (PURGE) all sorts of classic computer parts, computers, networking, ink/toner, etc

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jun 10 13:08:07 CDT 2016

On 06/10/2016 01:58 PM, rescue wrote:
>>   Solaris2 will run, but will be slower than pissing tar on an SS20.
>> SunOS4 will run very fast on that hardware.  I'd say "YMMV", but it
>> really won't.
>
> When I worked @ Sun, I was a SunOS 4.X holdout during the Solaris 2.X
> migration internally.

  I was a SunOS4 holdout in your user base. ;)

> I had an SS10 at the time.
>
> I would not say it is slow per se.... I think it is very dependent on
> the processor(s) and memory, and what he wants to do with it.

  I'd say it's slow.  Even with 2x SM71s and 384MB of RAM it's slow.
When it comes to getting real work done on the machine, there's really
nothing better than SunOS4, IMO, from the field in the ISP world.

> I didn't start accepting Solaris 2.X till the 2.4/2.5 timeframe.... by
> that time it was in 'better shape'.

  I started tolerating it in 2.6, and liking it in 9.  I adore it now.

                    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA