[rescue] FS: (PURGE) all sorts of classic computer parts, computers, networking, ink/toner, etc

rescue rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Jun 10 12:58:31 CDT 2016

On 2016-06-10 12:59, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 06/10/2016 11:58 AM, Iric Bertrand wrote:
>> I'm in for a type 5 keyboard, an optical mouse with pad, Enterprise
>> compatible caddies.
>>
>> For the ss20 i don't know what to choose for OS. I have a 3D frame
>> buffer
>> supported up to Solaris 2.6.
>>
>> I think to put Solaris 9 on the Enterprise 450 to be able to go on
>> the web.
>>
>> I'm looking to surf the web too with the ss20.
>
>   Solaris2 will run, but will be slower than pissing tar on an SS20.
> SunOS4 will run very fast on that hardware.  I'd say "YMMV", but it
> really won't.

When I worked @ Sun, I was a SunOS 4.X holdout during the Solaris 2.X
migration internally.

I had an SS10 at the time.

I would not say it is slow per se.... I think it is very dependent on
the processor(s) and memory, and what he wants to do with it.

I didn't start accepting Solaris 2.X till the 2.4/2.5 timeframe.... by
that time it was in 'better shape'.

At the core, 4.X is generally quicker.... but in his case with a 3D
frame buffer, he either has the video SIMM or a ZX or turbo ZX.... all
of which I'm pretty sure required Solaris 2.X.

For that old hardware, I'd probably recommend Solaris 2.4 through
2.6.... 7 and up started to get 'fatter'.  And there is only so much
memory you can stuff into an SS20.

-- Curt