[rescue] SunCD Repair

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 16:27:40 CDT 2016

Hi Eddie

In general the DVDs with 512 sector jumper will work with most Sun systems in
my experience. All the Sun CDs have a standard SCSI 50 pin interface, so not
sure what your issue was with it?

Peter

> On 29 May 2016, at 04:27, Eddie Cottongim <jcotton at intergate.net> wrote:
>
> Are there any service manuals, repair ideas etc available for the Sony
CDU-8012? I've got one that responds to probe-scsi, but "test cdrom" gives
back a "-1" failure (not much help), and is dead otherwise. It spins the CD
briefly, then stops. No obvious internal problems after partial disassembly.

> Failing that, will a SS 10 tolerate a SCSI DVD?  The HP A5220-67003 seems
promising - appears to have the right SCSI-2 interface,  has a 512 sector
jumper, the only issue may be the SCSI connector on it looks like a standard
SCSI fine pitch, whereas the Sony has a 0.1" header, so the cables in the
external box may need some rethinking.