[rescue] SunCD Repair

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Wed Jun 1 16:19:02 CDT 2016

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 11:27:56PM -0400, Eddie Cottongim wrote:
> Are there any service manuals, repair ideas etc available for the Sony
> CDU-8012? I've got one that responds to probe-scsi, but "test cdrom"
> gives back a "-1" failure (not much help), and is dead otherwise. It
> spins the CD briefly, then stops. No obvious internal problems after
> partial disassembly.

I always treated CD-ROM drives as disposable once failed, I'm sure
that is what the makers intended.

> Failing that, will a SS 10 tolerate a SCSI DVD?  The HP A5220-67003
> seems promising - appears to have the right SCSI-2 interface,  has a 512
> sector jumper, the only issue may be the SCSI connector on it looks like
> a standard SCSI fine pitch, whereas the Sony has a 0.1" header, so the
> cables in the external box may need some rethinking.

But mainly answering this point, that should be no problem. I had a
Pioneer SCSI DVD-ROM drive in an external SCSI case that I used many
times with many generations of SPARC servers. I don't remember ever
going back to the SS10 with it, but would imagine it would work.