[rescue] IBM PC RT

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Aug 15 16:07:31 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:56:27PM -0500, Bill Braskey wrote:
>I have what appears to be a complete IBM PC RT (Model 6150)
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_6150_RT>, minus an OS and monitor.  It
>even has the external SCSI tape drive & 5.25" floppy drive.  I rescued it
>several years ago in a random check of Craigslist while on a 1500-mile
>driving trip, near the bizarre town of Centralia, PA
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania>.  It has been in
>storage since I got it.
>
>Apparently this thing was designed for AIX 2, but I wonder if a later
>version of AIX will run on it.  The guy who gave it to me said it ran Pick
>OS when he used it, but he lost the media.  I did get all the glorious old
>IBM 3-ring manuals in the slipcases, though!
>
>Anyone here have any experience with this rare dinosaur?

One of my biggest regrets was giving away THREE fully loaded RT systems (each
with TWO monitors) when I had to move in '98.  All three had AIX loaded.

Picked them up (for free) from a company in Austin that needed to clear out
some basement storage; they were an IBM/AIX shop and had bought the RTs when
new.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford