[rescue] Sun-Stuff searching for new home around germany

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sat Apr 2 19:30:16 CDT 2016

On 04/02/2016 12:47 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Mine were about 1200lbs, but there was other stuff in the racks.  I do
> not shy away from moving big iron, but these machines are dangerous to
> handle.  Please be very careful.

    Indeed.  Any time one is dealing with things that can severely
injure (or worse) if they fall on one extreme care needs to be
taken.

>    You can get the weight down quite a bit by removing the side panels
> (which also provides more hand-hold spots for grabbing), the power
> supplies, the fan modules, and the proc/mem modules.  I don't recommend
> removing the AC input boxes...they represent quite a lot of weight, but
> they're difficult and time-consuming to remove and reinstall.

    Also, getting weight out of the *top* of racks can be entirely
helpful when it comes to overall safety.  Things are less likely to
fall over that way.

    When in doubt, get help/advice from experienced friends or contact
professionals for help.  Getting injured whilst moving things is very
seldom worth the risk or overall financial cost.  This cannot be
stated strongly enough.

    Cheers!