[rescue] Sun-Stuff searching for new home around germany

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Apr 2 11:47:32 CDT 2016

  Mine were about 1200lbs, but there was other stuff in the racks.  I do
not shy away from moving big iron, but these machines are dangerous to
handle.  Please be very careful.

  For planning purposes...the racks are both taller and deeper (front to
back) than most other racks.

  You can get the weight down quite a bit by removing the side panels
(which also provides more hand-hold spots for grabbing), the power
supplies, the fan modules, and the proc/mem modules.  I don't recommend
removing the AC input boxes...they represent quite a lot of weight, but
they're difficult and time-consuming to remove and reinstall.

  Good luck.  6800s are wonderful machines.

            -Dave

On 04/02/2016 11:54 AM, Matt Patoray wrote:
> Sure does, and the rack is 7' high and in most systems the weight goes all the
> way to the top.
>
> Fun to move for all involved, I've done it.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 2, 2016, at 10:31 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sun said the 6800 weighed 1,000 pounds... Yikes!
>>
>> Lionel
>>
>>> On Apr 2, 2016, at 5:39 AM, rescue.pkoch at dfgh.net wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> we have been using two Sun 6800 (each fully equipped with 92GB of RAM
>>> and 24 Sparc III processors 1.2GHz) for many years.
>>>
>>> Now they are retired and must leave our machine room to make place
>>> for newer machines.
>>>
>>> Anybody out there willing to give them a new home? They are very good
>>> in transforming electric energy into heat. And by activating only some of
>>> the processor boards you can regulate the heat flow. Your wife will love
>>> stand behind it and use it as a whole-body blow-dryer.
>>>
>>> Take one for free and you will get another one for no additional costs.
>>>
>>> While rearranging our machine room, we found lots of other stuff that must
>>> go away too. Here's a first list:
>>>
>>> - Sun E250
>>> - Sun A5200, A5100, D1000 (with lots of disks)
>>> - Sun E450
>>> - Sun L1000 (at least 2, another one is still in use for some months)
>>> - Sun 6800 (2 fully equipped and lots of spare parts)
>>> - Sun 880
>>> - Sun 480 (at least 2, with spare processor boards)
>>>
>>> Some pictureas are at https://flic.kr/s/aHskuakSMT I will add some
>>> more next week
>>>
>>> Peter

Dave McGuire, AK4HZ