[rescue] Sun E280R thermal shutdown

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Sat Oct 24 08:29:22 CDT 2015

Hello.

I am trying to get a E280R running (4G RAM, 2x900 MHz CPU). Installed
Solaris, reset the RSC password, installed Linux, all worked fine(*).

However, after uptime of about 24 hours (probably somewhat less),
completely idle machine does thermal shutdown because envctrl tells the
OS that critical temperature 59 degrees Celisus has been reached. The
machine was idle on both occassions, in air-conditioned room, and blows
out quite cool air.

RSC environment command confirms the temperatures are 56-57 in normal
work so quite near to 59. No alerts or errors seen in RSC.

Now the questions:

* Is 59 a sensible temperature for thermal shutdown or is it something
that linux kenvctrld invents itself?

* Why 57 degrees CPU temp if the air is cool - something wrong with the
heat transfer (like, new thermal grease needed)?

* Any other ideas?

(*) QLogic has broken qla2xxx driver on big-endian architectures, I have
a fix for that and I am polishing it to get it merged.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)