[rescue] Vector Plotters

Justin Haynes justin at justinhaynes.com
Mon Oct 5 11:56:29 CDT 2015

1. Do any plotters exist with a mechanism for moving the pen in a smooth
line rather than across a grid of discrete locations?  The pen still makes
a relatively smooth movement, but this is simply a desirable artifact.

(I was exposed to plotters for the first time, maybe in 1982 or 83 as a 9
or 10 year old when my Dad brought home a Sharp computer with a plotter
like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVkkii15TLo  I found it
fascinating but noticed the pen and platen were still moving in discrete
motions )

2. In raster displays, lines look smooth, but I'd guess the line is still
being created with many discrete movements, and they blend together for a
similar reason as the pen on a plotter does - the electron beam cannot
change directly quickly enough to make such tiny jagged edges.  Do raster
displays exist which can accomplish an actual straight line?

3. Finally, I think this has interesting applications for 3d Printers.

4. I have no idea how a CDC machine accomplishes curves, but I suppose when
you have a lathe or similar tool capable of smoothing edges it isn't
critical.