[rescue] Memory upgrade in Dell PowerEdge 2560

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Wed May 27 17:37:09 CDT 2015

On 05/27/15 17:50, Chad Fernandez wrote:
> On 05/27/2015 08:16 AM, Raymond Wiker wrote:
>> I've actually had problems with memory that was too fast for the
>> computer... does the memory match the stated requirements?
>
> The computer was rated for PC2100, and I have PC2700, which is
> "faster".  However from what I read it shouldn't make a difference. The
> PC2700 is newer and is simply rated to handle the faster speed, it's not
> faster in of itself.  It's supposed to be backwards compatible.  I
> bought the PC2700 because it was a big name brand (Micron) at a good
> price, in a quantity sufficient to max out the server.

"In theory, theory is exactly the same as practice, but in practice, it
isn't."

Yes, in theory, PC2700 memory is supposed to be backward compatible to
PC2100.  In practice I have personal experience of PC2100 boards that
really, seriously, no honest we really mean it, no kidding, I shit you
not, *REQUIRED* PC2100 RAM.  Or else.  They either would not fully boot
with PC2700 RAM, or would boot but then crash within seconds.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net