[rescue] Memory upgrade in Dell PowerEdge 2560

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 18:37:09 CDT 2015

PC2700r - are you sure about that?

PC2700r is 'registered' memory, and that is what your server needs:

http://www.memorystock.com/memory/DellPowerEdge2650.html

Lionel

> On May 24, 2015, at 6:18 PM, Chad Fernandez <chad.fernandez at att.net> wrote:
>
> Hello, long time lurker here.  I'm trying to upgrade the memory on a surplus
server I purchased at auction.  It's a Dell PowerEdge 2650, with 1gb of DDR
PC2100.  Supposedly, the 533fsb version of this machine will handle 2gb
sticks.  The readme included with the bios upgrade on Dells site reflects
this.  I purchased 8 sticks (only needed 6) of Micron pc2700r on ebay, with
the idea that faster DDR memory is backwards compatible.  However, the machine
sees nothing and I'm getting the no memory beep code when I try to fire it up.
Any ideas?  While not the latest, the machine is several bios versions later
than when that code was added for the 2gb sticks.

> Disclaimer...... I have nowhere  near the computer knowledge of most of you
folks here.  I used to play around with PC's many years ago when the 80486 was
newly obsolete.  I haven't been active with computers as a hobby for many
years, and I don't work in the field, either...... so please speak slowly!