[rescue] Memory upgrade in Dell PowerEdge 2560

Chad Fernandez chad.fernandez at att.net
Sun May 24 18:18:23 CDT 2015

Hello, long time lurker here.  I'm trying to upgrade the memory on a
surplus server I purchased at auction.  It's a Dell PowerEdge 2650, with
1gb of DDR PC2100.  Supposedly, the 533fsb version of this machine will
handle 2gb sticks.  The readme included with the bios upgrade on Dells
site reflects this.  I purchased 8 sticks (only needed 6) of Micron
pc2700r on ebay, with the idea that faster DDR memory is backwards
compatible.  However, the machine sees nothing and I'm getting the no
memory beep code when I try to fire it up. Any ideas?  While not the
latest, the machine is several bios versions later than when that code
was added for the 2gb sticks.

Disclaimer...... I have nowhere  near the computer knowledge of most of
you folks here.  I used to play around with PC's many years ago when the
80486 was newly obsolete.  I haven't been active with computers as a
hobby for many years, and I don't work in the field, either...... so
please speak slowly!

Thanks,
Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA