[rescue] UUCP network

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Mon May 18 13:09:01 CDT 2015

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 09:16:31PM -0400, Andrew M Hoerter wrote:
> On 5/17/15 20:08, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >    Wow.  When I read this, I couldn't help but think that maybe you'd
> > gotten the two mixed up.  Moving from C to INN was the time when I
> > suddenly started getting a good night's sleep, started going out to
> > dinner more often, and actually got laid once in awhile.
>
> Hmm.  Clearly, mileage varies, but that's how I remember it in the mid
> 90's, running a UUCP node (small feed) and administering an ISP news
> server (almost full feed).  Although had I known about INN's aphrodisiac
> effect, maybe I would have stuck with it longer.

> >    If you're looking for nostalgia, run B or C.  If you're looking to run
> > a news server to read and post news, run INN.

>From what I remember, c-news is much more batch-oriented, and tighter
tied in with UUCP. It did have some problems hanging every now-and-then
on some sort of odd news article or control message.

INN started expecting always-on constant TCP/IP connections, and UUCP was
a secondary means of transmission.

So, really, it depends on just what you are trying to acomplish, and
since it seemed like doing UUCP batches was more interesting to the OP,
I recommended that.