[rescue] UUCP network

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun May 17 20:24:39 CDT 2015

On 05/17/2015 09:16 PM, Andrew M Hoerter wrote:
>>    Wow.  When I read this, I couldn't help but think that maybe you'd
>> gotten the two mixed up.  Moving from C to INN was the time when I
>> suddenly started getting a good night's sleep, started going out to
>> dinner more often, and actually got laid once in awhile.
>
> Hmm.  Clearly, mileage varies, but that's how I remember it in the mid
> 90's, running a UUCP node (small feed) and administering an ISP news
> server (almost full feed).  Although had I known about INN's aphrodisiac
> effect, maybe I would have stuck with it longer.

  That stuff works, man! ;)

>>    If you're looking for nostalgia, run B or C.  If you're looking to run
>> a news server to read and post news, run INN.
>
> INN is definitely a better fit for the modern world of NNTP/NNRP, if two
> decades ago could be called "modern"; I don't think there can be any
> argument there.

  Well, NNTP is a stable protocol.  It's rare when a protocol or a piece
of software is called "finished", but NNTP certainly is, and INN is
pretty close.  New bug fixes get integrated every now and then, but
other than that, it just sits there and does its job...no further
development required.

  I don't think I've ever used INN for UUCP-based feeds.  In fact I'm
pretty sure I haven't.

> It would be interesting to know if any non-hobbyist UUCP networks
> remain.  Last I heard (some years ago), store-and-forward dialup was
> still used in some lesser developed countries, but I'd guess wireless
> has almost entirely pushed it aside by now.
>
> I shut down my UUCP node in the early 2000's, and by then it was almost
> entirely dead in my area.

  UUCP, not much, but Usenet is alive and well.  I suppose it'd be good
to define where the the interest lies.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ