[rescue] UUCP network

Andrew M Hoerter amh at pobox.com
Sun May 17 20:16:31 CDT 2015

On 5/17/15 20:08, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Wow.  When I read this, I couldn't help but think that maybe you'd
> gotten the two mixed up.  Moving from C to INN was the time when I
> suddenly started getting a good night's sleep, started going out to
> dinner more often, and actually got laid once in awhile.

Hmm.  Clearly, mileage varies, but that's how I remember it in the mid
90's, running a UUCP node (small feed) and administering an ISP news
server (almost full feed).  Although had I known about INN's aphrodisiac
effect, maybe I would have stuck with it longer.

>    If you're looking for nostalgia, run B or C.  If you're looking to run
> a news server to read and post news, run INN.

INN is definitely a better fit for the modern world of NNTP/NNRP, if two
decades ago could be called "modern"; I don't think there can be any
argument there.

It would be interesting to know if any non-hobbyist UUCP networks
remain.  Last I heard (some years ago), store-and-forward dialup was
still used in some lesser developed countries, but I'd guess wireless
has almost entirely pushed it aside by now.

I shut down my UUCP node in the early 2000's, and by then it was almost
entirely dead in my area.