[rescue] ultra 1 power supply question

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Sun May 17 13:19:23 CDT 2015

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 12:19:26PM -0500, George Wyche wrote:
> This morning (to use that f77 compiler) I tried to turn it on. Nothing.
> The 2 power supply fans do not turn. 120VAC does arrive at the power
> connector.
>
> Do any of you know if that is sufficient to condemn the power supply?

Sufficient? Maybe, maybe not. There's so many things that could go
wrong with old gear.

> Power supplies are still (it seems) available for like $25 before tax &
> shipping which is what I expect to buy if this email comes to nothing.

Its a start. Otherwise, there are plenty of U1's on eBay. Most likely
your NVRAM chip still has data/charge in it, rather than some on eBay.
You could swap the drive & NVRAM chip and have "the same computer" as
far as the licensing most likely cares about. Just have to be careful
with the NVRAM chip and not short it out or any such thing.

> I shudder to think what any correspondence with Oracle would be about
> transferring that license to one of the sunblades I have. Any advice about
> that?

I think you'll get the line that the software has reached
end-of-maintenance decades ago and we have no way to re-license it.

Well, really, I think you'll get no answer, as in nobody will response
at all to any license query on ancient software.