[rescue] Solaris, etc. NOS...

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Tue May 5 18:05:17 CDT 2015

On Tue, 05 May 2015 17:28:44 -0500
Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us> wrote:

> Hello Lyle,
>
> High level question, I do see your disclaimer below.
>
> I have been searching for some Framemaker stuff on Solaris for years.
>
> Nothing is showing up in their search.

Many (if not the bulk) of the items they have are NOT on their website.
In particular, vintage software and often vintage hardware ;)

> I am assuming that stuff you are referencing is just possibly stacked
> up in boxes and not in the online system yet?

Exactly. It will never go "online". It will either be bought by a
collector or scrapped.

> Thanks for any clarification, again, I realize you are just a
> customer here.

I have worked with Weirdstuff (WS) for years. When they have vintage
goodies, they (generally) hold it until I do my almost weekly trek to
their warehouse to look at it. If I see something that I think
vintage/collector folks would like, I typically post it to an
appropriate list that I'm a member of and ask WS not to scrap it.

If a period of time goes by, and it's still there, it gets scrapped
because they need the space for additional stuff.

The reason they "hold" things for me is that once in a while a real
"treasure" appears - and I appraise it for them (free). They typically
put that stuff on eBay unless I know of a ready buyer.

If any of you have scrappers/brokers near you, I suggest you might want
to try doing the same thing. It takes time to develop a relationship and
unfortunately, some scrappers/brokers just don't want to bother.

Cheers,
Lyle

> On 05/ 5/15 03:33 PM, Lyle Bickley wrote:
> > I visit Weirdstuff Warehouse regularly - and today came across some
> > items that Sun lovers might find useful.
> >
> > I found a LOT of boxes of NOS older versions of Solaris. Also some
> > open (but boxed) Sun software apps (StarOffice, Framemaker, etc.).
> >
> > If you are interested in any of the above, contact "Jim" @
> > Weirdstuff.
> > http://www.weirdstuff.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=sunnyvalestore
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Lyle
> >
> > (My only affiliation with Weirdstuff is as a client. I attempt to
> > preserve what I can of vintage hardware and software. I do NOT
> > receive any compensation from them).

Bickley Consulting West Inc.
http://bickleywest.com