[rescue] Ubiquity of Windows in BRIC - was Re: VirtualBox anecdotes - was Re: A wee bit off-topic

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 09:47:28 CDT 2015

That's why I used the word "perceived".

People want windows because that's what everyone else has, and if they did a
needs analysis they would probably choose windows because that's where the
vast majority of application software is, easiest to get help if needed, etc.

You don't have to like windows to want it - if you go to one of these
countries and hand out macs or Linux PCs as soon as folks find out they don't
run windows the vast majority will ask how to get windows on them... They
*want* windows, it's a choice, maybe not a well-informed choice, but a choice
none the less.

Note: any responses to this thread should be on geeks (and only geeks), I've
replied on both lists...

Lionel

On Jun 22, 2015, at 9:02 AM, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

>> but also *perceived* value/functionality of
>> windows vs. linux.
>
> A tempting theory, but not really true. I've visited three of the four BRIC.
Windows is indeed rampant there, but certainly not due to merit or any kind of
educated comparison. As a result of the ubiquity of Windows in Brazil there is
an massive domestic industry of black hat work.

> Most of its users -- and everyone they know -- have only ever heard of, or
seen, Windows. Which was billg's intention, if we remember the famous quote?