[rescue] VirtualBox anecdotes - was Re: A wee bit off-topic

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 09:11:08 CDT 2015

"In China, India, and Russia, where you claim Windows is effectively 'free'
(due to rampant piracy), people still choose Windows over other, equally
free
operating systems like Linux... So the reason windows is so popular in those
countries can't be price alone, but also *perceived* value/functionality of
windows vs. linux."

The computers sold to the public in the mentioned have Windows installed on
them just like the USA.  The Chinese, Indians and Russians have the same
choices as the Americans.  It is using a very broad brush, indeed, to
assume "facts not in evidence" -- one arrives at faulty conclusions.  Talk
to Chinese, Indians, and Russians that are in the USA; look at their
computer sales websites, etc.

Just like a lot of the professional-computer-resellers on Craigslist use
"pirated" volume licenses of Windows to reload on their offered Intel
computers, these types in China, India and Russia do the same thing.  The
buyers get what the sellers are selling.

The Mainland Chinese government has established their own distro for
Linux.  This has been in the news over the last several years.  So their
government computers are supposedly using Linux and not Windows.  (I
haven't read any articles about whether this is still going on but I go
long stretches without reading the news.)