[rescue] Trackball slowdown

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Jul 9 09:36:29 CDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 09:10:13AM -0500, Josh Carlson wrote:
> Is this one of the rubberized balls or it is hard plastic? I have a hard
> plastic trackball that has recently been giving me a few similar issues.
> The plastic itself is actually starting to pitch/scratch and that seems to
> be it. So you may have to hunt for a replacement ball or try polishing your
> current one.

It's the dark reddish hard plastic one. It seems very rough in use but I
haven't tried to see if the ball itself is rough. I was thinking the problem
was the bearings/support points and I can't tell what they're made of. Now
that you mentioned it I checked the ball itself for roughness just by
feeling it and it seems pretty smooth and doesn't catch on a fingernail.

But I have plenty of Novus around. If the problem is that the trackball
developed scratches too small to feel maybe that will fix it. Will report
back with any updates.

Thank you.