[rescue] [OT] Debian founder dead at age 42

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Dec 31 16:18:00 CST 2015

I will chime in and say that I always appreciated Ian and Debian's stance on OSS, their helpfulness and the many innovations they enabled.

Off the top of my head:

apt was a spur for Red Hat and other distros to have decent packaging tools
KNOPPIX (Debian based) LiveCD - super useful as a rescue disk
Ubuntu
many derivatives such as Edubuntu etc. used in education
drove HP's embrace of Linux

"politically" Debian serves in the USA as a very useful counterweight to Red Hat, which helps keep them honest IMHO

Surely a much longer list of Ian /Debian successes could be compiled.

Cheers

Patrick