[rescue] [off-topic] What was this markup language?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Dec 9 14:42:05 CST 2015

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 21:57:58 -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Are you sure it wasn't GML the tool used? It was the predecessor to
> SGML, XML and HTML. I once, s long, long, long time ago attended an
> IBM presentation at Princeton given by IBM researchers for the
> benefit of the employees of their large local clients (pharma, oil,
> telco), probably 1982/1983 timeframe.

I suspect DEC would have steered clear of anything that mixed
"documents" and "*ML*" given how closely it was tied to IBM. A good
chunk of SCRIPT/GML/SGML tools would probably have been "IBM Internal
Use Only".

As an aside, GML started off as a set of macros for SCRIPT which joined
IBM from MIT, and is itself a descendent of RUNOFF.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
Any civilization where the main symbol of religious veneration is a tool