[rescue] In Realtime: Saving 25,000 Manuals ? August 15, 2015

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Mon Aug 24 13:04:32 CDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:23:43AM -0400, Andrew Jones wrote:
> The main thing we don't have in the microfiche world is full-text
> indexing.  That will be a great boon if/when it happens, but it will
> be very expensive to digitize thousands of years of periodicals
> nationwide.

We could do it for far less money than we fritter away on other things.
Hire 250,000 people as scanners, checkers, etc., thus getting them out
of unemployment and into doing something with enormous benefits for
everyone.  Figure 16B/year to cover pay plus benefits plus equipment,
which is about 2 nuclear submarines (before cost overruns).

---rsk