[rescue] In Realtime: Saving 25,000 Manuals — August 15, 2015

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Sun Aug 23 23:23:43 CDT 2015

Microfiche and microfilm are both, to this day, excellent formats for
the existing material.

1. Nearly all users understand how to access these formats.

2. It is typically very easy to get a printout of any material you need.

3. Microfiche and microfilm are very, very stable under the climate
conditions typically found in libraries.

In a perfect world, digitization would be great.  In the world we
actually live in, microfilm and microfiche are really wonderful archival
formats.

The main thing we don't have in the microfiche world is full-text
indexing.  That will be a great boon if/when it happens, but it will be
very expensive to digitize thousands of years of periodicals nationwide.