[rescue] In Realtime: Saving 25, 000 Manuals ??? August 15, 2015

Bob Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 11:04:42 CDT 2015

Yes, we do have discussions on that but ultimately that's probably a
project for the ntp oriented groups.

I'm designing a cape for a beaglebone black around a Furuno gps timing
receiver in order to replace a commercially available ($3000) NTP
appliance.  So far I'm out about $100 including the beaglebone.  The gps
receiver, brand new, is $35.  Ping me off list and I'll give you all the
details you want.

Here's some random stats for a 24 hour period that I bothered to graph:

http://www.nerdhouse.org/ntp/

time-nuts is much more interested in the science and art of characterizing
performance of oscillators, precision time interval measurements,
statistics, and the like.  Most of us care about what time it is
(wristwatch time) but that's a minor interest.  It's all about squeaking
out the best performance of cesium beams, rubidum clocks, and quartz
oscillators for stability.

-Bob